The process of getting a tattoo doesn’t end when you walk out the door of our studio. There’s aftercare that need to be adhered to, both for health reasons and to get the most out of your new ink! Follow these simple instructions after getting a tattoo, and it will still look awesome years from now.
Now the person you should listen to the most is your tattoo artist. Do what they tell you and you’ll be fine. These are just basic tips for aftercare…
1) Leave your bandage on for at least a couple of hours after getting your tattoo. It’s there for a reason- to stop the bleeding and compact the wound, so leave it on.
2) And yes, it is a wound, so don’t get it infected!! Never touch it without cleaning your hands first, and clean it with soft, non-scented anti-bacterial soap, at least 3 times per day.
3) Keep it hydrated. This doesn’t mean splashing water on it when you wake up. For the first few days apply ointment. These can be bought from us or from any good chemist, but use sparingly, don’t cut off the air to your skin.
4) For the first couple of weeks, try not to agitate the healing process by wearing tight clothes that will rub against your tattoo. If it’s on your back, learn to sleep on your front.
5) Avoid swimming pools, spas or hot tubs. Again, this is a great way to get an infection. Try to avoid any activity that make you sweat, and don’t expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight.
6) And last, but not least, don’t pick at it!
So there you go, stick to these basic rules and you’ll be fine. For long term care, always use sun screen (which you should be using anyway), and keep your tattoo moisturised.